Denise Goldberg's blog

What's in a name?
Living (for a few days) in Death Valley

Friday, November 2, 2007

Zabriskie glowing

... sun ray decorations

I asked Denise if I could build some word pictures today and she said yes. So today's report is another Rover tale!
First, I have to ask you to send happy birthday thoughts to Suze. If you haven't met her, she's Denise's sister. Suze, happy thoughts are winging their way to you.
I thought we were going to have a lazy morning, but that silly alarm clock buzzed at 6:30 again. I could start to see the outlines of the mountains surrounding Death Valley, but it was still dark out there when we left the room and headed to Zabriskie Point to watch the sunrise. We joined a bunch of other photographers waiting for the magic. Yes, I know, bunch isn't a technical term, and it's probably not very descriptive either. I'd say there were between 15 and 20 people there, but that's somewhat of a wild guess. I think I was the only dog, but I suppose someone else could have been hiding in a camera bag.

All of those people standing there waiting, and no one was facing the direction where they could see the sun rise from behind the mountains. Instead everyone was focused on the badlands, and the mountains across the valley. We were waiting for the sunlight to paint the rocks in front of us. A time of waiting, a time of talking about cameras and lenses, a time of shutters clicking. We were standing high on the viewpoint, and then Denise decided to walk a little lower to get a different perspective. We stayed and watched the sun bathe the landscape with wonderful low light. We stayed a little longer, and when the color faded in full sunlight, we headed back into the low valley.

Oh, and there is an interesting story about the Zabriskie Point viewpoint. There are 2 pit toilets there, and the rangers told us that the buildings weigh 21 tons. Yes, I did say tons. In the flash flood of 2004, the flood waters were so strong that they moved these 21-ton structures about 100 feet from their foundations. Amazingly enough, the structures weren't damaged, so once a new base was built the same buildings were moved to a new location.

It was a very short morning for us in the park. We wandered up the road a bit, stopping at the Harmony Borax works, then heading north for a bit, stopping along the side of the road whenever the colors jumped out at Denise. It would have been nice to fit in a hike, but time was a little short. A hike would have fit the time nicely without the Zabriskie Point sunrise, but watching the sun paintings was a good choice for today.

Denise figured out that we could wander this morning without checking out of the hotel since the checkout time was noon. That way she could wash the sweat off before we headed down the road back to Las Vegas.

And just as we were heading back to Furnace Creek to get ready to travel, Denise saw a small four-legged creature wandering down the center of the road. She immediately pulled over to the side, watching, hoping. It was a coyote! It crossed the road, and loped across the desert. When Denise stopped the car she grabbed her camera. Once she saw our friend was crossing the road and paying no attention to us, she opened the door, stood next to the car, and took a couple of quick snaps. I know she would have liked to change lenses, but she knew there wasn't time. I hope that the camera holds a decent photo of him.

Driving, driving fast! The speed limit on the narrow 2-lane road heading up through Amargosa Valley was 70 in spots, 75 in others. It was that fast on most of route 95 too, at least until we got close to Las Vegas. We were flying down that road, and so was everyone else. Denise kept glancing at the land we were passing through, and I know she really wanted to stop, to grab some photos of some of the low-lying cactus. I told her that really wasn't a good idea. I was afraid that in order to get far enough off of the road to be safe from the flying vehicles, that she'd end up getting stuck in the sand. That really wouldn't have been a good idea. She's pretty careful, and she said she wouldn't have done it even if I hadn't bounced up and barked. I don't know if I believe her though; she was really tempted.

Las Vegas, cars, cars, traffic. It wasn't too bad, in spite of some construction lane closures, and we got to the airport with more time than we needed. We stood outside in the sun for a while, and then it was time to fly, time to head back to the northeast. I have a feeling that we'll be back in the not too distant future. It's so easy to get to some wonderful parks from Las Vegas, and it's really not a bad flight. Yup, we'll be back.

Guess what! Denise bought me some dark chocolate M&Ms for the flight. They are not as good as the chocolate we have at home, but wow - that's good chocolate for an airplane flight. I'm happy!

It's only 5:13 pm in Pacific time, and it's 8:13 at home. I don't know where we are right now. But I just looked out over the plane's wing, it's getting dark out. I think I'll have some chocolate and take a nap now. After all, I have to be awake when we land so I can help Denise drive home.
--- Rover



You didn't believe that I could type, did you? Working on this journal entry was a good way to pass the time while that big airplane was flying east, taking us home.