Denise Goldberg's blog

What's in a name?
Living (for a few days) in Death Valley

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Photos: Birds posing

...conundrum seeking answers

These birds are another reason why I'm glad I took a mid-afternoon break at the green oasis of Furnace Creek today. I'd like to think that I would have been able to capture more of these beauties if I had just spent more time sitting still.

No complaints though; I'm very happy that these birds consented to a quick pose.
If anyone is interested, the Death Valley National Park web site includes a bird list.



The saga of (an inexperienced birder) identifying a hawk...

The first post in my guestbook about this bird was the thought that it might be a Cooper's hawk. According to the USGS page that I found, "The Sharp-shinned Hawk is most similar to the Cooper's Hawk." I posted this photo and my question in the Digital Grin photography forum in the hopes of attracting the attention of some photographers who are also birders. I got two answers there.

The initial reaction was from GraphyFotoz who told me this is a sharp-shinned hawk, identified by coarse brown streaks on the chest. This hawk is rare to uncommon in the area, so I guess I was very lucky to see it.

Then there were some more folks weighing in who agrees with the first guess that this guy is a Cooper's Hawk.
Well, it looks like it's one of the two. I suppose that having two answers is better than none, right? After reading both descriptions and looking at the photos - which honestly don't help me much! - I could be swayed by either argument. The things that jumped out at me...

The Cooper's Hawk "Dark crown contrasts with nape, and Tail ends in white tail band, back dark gray or gray-brown, underparts barred reddish and white."

And yet, the Sharp-shinned hawk "Tail long, barred, and ends with a square tip, adults with blue-gray back and wings, reddish barring on underparts." Yup, those things are true too.
Gerry signed my guestbook with this: "As one who frequently birds the Furnace Creek area, I think you have photos of probably a Cooper's Hawk - based on the pale nape and all the other comparisons noted in other postings. Also, Cooper's are common here, not so for Sharpie's, which are very secretive as a rule."

Another comment I found interesting was from Jeff W over on Digital Grin: "you can see the field id of these 2 birds is not just hard but impossible. the best way is to [after you have seen a few ] tell the size. cooper is bigger sharpie is smaller but they are almost twins".

Links to descriptions of both birds on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology All About Birds page:








Many thanks to everyone who jumped in to help with the identification of these beautiful birds. I'm looking forward to a future return to Death Valley not only to do some more hiking but also to spend some time sitting and watching the birds.